what special happen on 15 may
here you got information about what happen on 15 may in history .Here you got highlight of 15 may special , 15 may special events ,special person birth and deaths on 15 may and weddings on 15 may in history.
Highlights of 15 -may
- 15 may 1252 Pope Innocent IV issues the papal bull ad exstirpanda, which authorizes, but also limits, the torture of heretics in the Medieval Inquisition.
- 15 may 1618 Johannes Kepler discovers harmonics law.
- 15 may 1730 Robert Walpole becomes effectively Britain’s 1st prime minister (was: chief min).
- 15 may 1869 National Woman Suffrage Association forms in New York, founded by Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
- 15 may 1940 McDonald’s opens its first restaurant in San Bernardino, California.
- 15 may 1988 USSR begins withdrawing its 115,000 troops from Afghanistan.
15 -may special events
1. 15 may 756 Abd-al-Rahman I becomes emir of Cordova, Spain.
2. On 15 may 884 Marinus I ends his reign as Catholic Pope.
3.On 15 may 1004 Henry II the Saint crowned king of Italy
4. On 15 may1213 King John of England names Stephen Langton as Archbishop of Canterbury
5. On 15 may 1248 Archbishop Konrad von Hochstaden lays cornerstone for Cologne cathedral
6. On 15 may 1252 Pope Innocent IV issues the papal bull ad exstirpanda, which authorizes, but also limits, the torture of heretics in the Medieval Inquisition.
7. On 15 may 1492 Cheese & Bread rebellion: German mercenaries kill 232 residents of Alkmaar, Netherlands
8.On 15 may 1514 Jodocus Badius Ascensius publishes Christiern Pedersen’s Latin version of Saxo’s Gesta Danorum, the oldest known version of that work.
9.On 15 may 1525 The battle of Frankenhausen: German peasant army surrounded, 5,000 slaughtered ; ends the peasants’ uprising
Event of interestEvent of Interest
- On 15 may 1572 Louis van Nassau & huguenots occupy Valenciennes.
- On 15 may 1602 Cape Cod discovered by English navigator Bartholomew Gosnold.
- On 15 may 1610 Parliament of Paris appoints Louis XIII (8) as French king.
- On 15 may 1602 Event of interestEvent of Interest.
- On 15 may 1618 Johannes Kepler discovers harmonics law.
- On 15 may 1625 16 rebellious farmers hanged in Vocklamarkt, Upper-Austria.
- On 15 may 1648 Treaty of Munster ratified by Spain & Netherlands.
- On 15 may 1665 Pope Alexander VII appoints committe to investigate Jansenism.
- On 15 may 1672 1st copyright law enacted by Massachusetts.
- On 15 may 1701 The War of the Spanish Succession begins.
- On 15 may 1711 Alexander Pope’s “An Essay on Criticism” is published anonymously.
- On 15 may 1718 James Puckle, a London lawyer, patents world’s 1st machine gun.
- On 15 may 1730 Robert Walpole becomes effectively Britain’s 1st prime minister (was: chief min).
- On 15 may 1602 1st British Prime Minister Robert Walpole Robert Walpole.
- On 15 may 1791 Maximilien Robespierre proposes the Self-denying Ordinance.
- On 15 may 1793 Diego Marín Aguilera flies a glider for “about 360 metres”, at a height of 5-6 metres, during one of the first attempted flights.
- On 15 may 1796 France & Sardinia sign Peace treaty of Paris.
- On 15 may 1796 French troops occupy Milan.
- On 15 may Event of interestEvent of Interest 1796 First Coalition: Napoleon enters Milan in triumph.
- On 15 may French Emperor Napoléon Bonaparte French Emperor Napoléon Bonaparte .
- On 15 may 1800 King George III survives a second assassination attempt.
- On 15 may 1800 Pope Pius VII calls on French bishops to return to Gospel principles.
- On 15 may 1817 Ambonese uprising against Dutch authority (modern Indonesia), under Thomas Matulesia (aka Kapitan Pattimura)
- On 15 may 1817 Opening of the first private mental health hospital in the United States, the Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason (now Friends Hospital) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- On 15 may 1942 Gasoline 1st rationed in US (17 Eastern States)
- On 15 may 1951 AT&T is 1st US company to have one million stockholders.
- On 15 may 1953 Heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano KOs Jersey Joe Walcott in Chicago.
- On 15 may 1964 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- On 15 may 1970 France performs nuclear test at Muruora Island.
- On 15 may 1987 1st Energiya Launch (USSR).
- On 15 may 1995 China performs nuclear test at Lop Nor, PRC.
- On 15 may 1536 Anne Boleyn & brother George, Lord Rochford, accused of adultery and incest.
- On 15 may 1976 101st Preakness: John Lively aboard Elocutionist wins in 1:55.
- On 15 may 1976 Fonz Song by Heyettes hits #91.
- On 15 may 1976 Kentucky Moonrunner by Cledus Maggard hits #85.
- On 15 may 1976 The Ulster Volunteer Force launch gun and bomb attacks on 2 pubs in County Armagh, killing 4 Catholic civilians and wounding many more; a British Army soldier is later convicted for taking part in the attacks.
- On 15 may 1976 The Provisional Irish Republican Army kill 3 Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officers in County Fermanagh and 1 in County Down.
- On 15 may 1977 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Greater Baltimore Golf Classic.
- On 15 may 1980 Flyers score 8 goals against Islanders in playoffs.
- On 15 may 1980 Shawn Weatherly, (SC (will win Miss Universe), crowned 29th Miss USA deaths.
- 1978 Robert Menzies, 12th Prime Minister of Australia (1939-41, 1949-66) and its longest-serving, dies of a heart attack at 83
- 12th Australian Prime Minister Robert Menzies
- 12th Australian Prime Minister Robert Menzies.
- 1982 Gordon Smiley, American race car driver (b. 1946)
- 1984 Lionel Charles Robbins, British economist, dies at 85
- 1984 Francis Schaeffer, American theologian, philosopher, and pastor (b. 1912)
- 1985 Jackie Curtis, actor (Underground USA), dies of a drug overdose at 38
- 986 Theodore H White, US journalist (Making of Pres, Pulitzer), dies at 71
- 1986 Elio de Angelis, Italian race car driver (b. 1958)
- 1987 John Baur, museum director, dies at 78
- 1987 Wynne Gibson, actor (Night After Night, Aggie Appleby), dies
- 1988 Andrew Duggan, actor (Jigsaw, Firehouse), dies of cancer at 64
- 1988 Greta Nissen, actress (Ambassador Bill), dies
- 1989 John Waldo Green, composer, dies at 80
- 1989 Johnny Green, American songwriter (b. 1908)
- 1991 Bud Freeman, American jazz musician and tenor saxophonist (Eel), dies of cancer at 84
- 1991 Reno Browne, American Western actress, dies at 70
- 1991 Ronald Lacey, actor (Raiders of Lost Ark, Next Victim), dies at 55
- 1991 Andreas Floer, German mathematician (b. 1956)
- 1992 Bruce Hopkins, performer/director, dies at 44
- 1992 Robert Morris Page, US physicist (radar), dies at 88
- 1992 Jovy Marcelo, Filipino race car driver (b. 1965)
- 1993 Salah Ahmed Ibrahim, Sudanese writer, poet, and diplomat (b. 1933)
- 1994 Frederik baron van Pallandt, Danish singer (Nina & F), murdered at 61
- 1994 Gilbert Roland, Mexican/US actor (Armand in Camille), dies at 88
- 1994 Ronnie Potsdammer, singer/song/text writer/programmer, dies at 71
- 1994 Royal Dano, actor (Ghoulies 2), dies of a heart attack at 71
- 1994 [Henry] John Baker, resistance fighter/journalist (Slogan), dies at 79
- 1995 Edouard Dermit, actor (Testament of Orpheus), dies at 69
- 1995 Eric Richard Porter, actor (Crucible, Hennessy), dies at 67
- 1995 Johnny Van Derrick, jazz violinist, dies at 68
- 1995 Perry Lederman, folk singer, dies at 52
- 1996 George M Tindley, songwriter/vocalist, dies at 57
- 1996 Charles B. Fulton, American jurist (b. 1910)
- 1996 Claus Bremer, German dramatist, dies at 71
- 1998 Earl Manigault, American basketball player (b. 1944)
- Person of interestPerson of Interest 2003 June Carter Cash, American musician and singer dies aged 73 Country Singer June Carter Cash
- 2003 George Francis, British gangster (b. 1940)
- 2004 Clint Warwick, [Eccles], English bassist (Moody Blues), dies at 63
- 2005 Alan B. Gold, Quebec Chief Justice (b. 1917)
- 2007 Jerry Falwell, American evangelist (b. 1933)
- 2007 Yolanda King, American actress and activist, daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. (b. 1955).
- 2008 Alexander Courage, composer of original Star Trek theme (b. 1919)
- 2008 Tommy Burns, Scottish footballer (b. 1956)
- 2008 Robert Dunlop, Northern Irish motorcycle racer, younger brother of Joey Dunlop (b. 1960)
- .2009 Charles ‘Bud’ Tingwell, Australian actor (b. 1923).
- 2009 Wayman Tisdale, American basketball player (b. 1964).
- 2010 Loris Kessel, Swiss racing driver (b. 1950).
- 2010 Besian Idrizaj, Footballer (b. 1987).
- 2011 Bob Flannigan, American jazz singer (The Four Freshmen), dies at 84.
- 2012 Carlos Fuentes, Mexican author, dies from a haemorrhage at 83.
- 2014 Jean-Luc Dehaene, Belgian politician, dies from a fall at 73.
- 2015 Garo Yepremian, American NFL place kicker (Miami Dolphins), dies at 70