Today in History: May 24
A chronological timetable of historical events that occurred on this day in history. Historical facts of the day in the areas of military, politics, science, music, sports, arts, entertainment and more. Discover what happened today in history.
January February March April May June July August September October November December 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31
Today in History May 24
1. 1543Nicolaus Copernicus publishes proof of a sun-centered solar system. He dies just after publication.
2. 1607Captain Christopher Newport and 105 followers found the colony of Jamestown at the mouth of the James River on the coast of Virginia.
3. 1610 Sir Thomas Gates institutes “laws divine moral and marshal, ” a harsh civil code for Jamestown.
4. 1624 After years of unprofitable operation, Virginia’s charter is revoked and it becomes a royal colony.
5. 1689 The English Parliament passes the Act of Toleration, protecting Protestants. Roman Catholics are specifically excluded from exemption.
6. 1738The Methodist Church is established.
7. 1764Boston lawyer James Otis denounces “taxation without representation,” calling for the colonies to unite in opposition to Britain’s new tax measures.
8. 1798Believing that a French invasion of Ireland is imminent, Irish nationalists rise up against the British occupation.
9. 1844Samuel Morse taps out the first telegraph message.
10. 1846General Zachary Taylor captures Monterey.
11. 1861General Benjamin Butler declares slaves to be the contraband of war.
12. 1863Bushwackers led by Captain William Marchbanks attack a Federal militia party in Nevada, Missouri.
13. 1878The first American bicycle race is held in Boston.
14. 1930Amy Johnson becomes the first woman to fly from England to Australia.
15. 1941The British battleship Hood is sunk by the German battleship Bismarck. There are only three survivors.
16. 1951Willie Mays begins playing for the New York Giants.
17. 1961Civil rights activists are arrested in Jackson, Mississippi .
18. Born on May 24 / 1544 William Gilbert, English physician and scientist.
19. 1743Jean-Paul Marat, French revolutionary.
20. 1819Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom (1836-1901).
21. 1878Lillian Moller Gilbreth, pioneer in time-motion studies.
22. 1895Samuel I. Newhouse, American publisher.
23. 1903Arthur Vineberg, Canadian heart surgeon.
24. 1905Mikhail Sholokhov, Russian novelist (And Quiet Flows the Don).
25. 1928William Trevor, Irish short story writer and novelist (The Old Boys, The Boarding House).
26. 1941Bob Dylan (Robert Zimmerman), singer and songwriter.
27. 1618 2nd Defenestration of Prague; beginning of 30 Years War. Two Catholic Lords Regent and their secretary thrown out of window – they were not seriously injured by the 70 foot fall.
28. 1785 Benjamin Franklin announces his invention of bifocals
29. 1813 South American independence leader Simón Bolívar enters Mérida, leading the invasion of Venezuela, and is proclaimed El Libertador (“The Liberator”)
30. 1949 Federal Republic of [West] Germany created out of the American, British and French occupation zones
31. 1958 Mao Zedong starts “Great leap forward” movement in China
32. 1998 The Good Friday Agreement is accepted in a referendum in Northern Ireland with 75% voting yes.