Today in History May 27
1. 1564 John Calvin, one of the dominant figures of the Protestant Reformation, dies in Geneva.
2. 1647 Achsah Young becomes the first woman known to be executed as a witch in Massachusetts.
3. 1668 Three colonists are expelled from Massachusetts for being Baptists.
4. 1813 Americans capture Fort George, Canada.
5. 1907 The Bubonic Plague breaks out in San Francisco.
6. 1919 A U.S. Navy seaplane completes the first transatlantic flight.
7. 1929 Colonel Charles Lindbergh marries Anne Spencer Morrow.
8. 1935 The Supreme Court declares President Franklin Roosevelt’s National Recovery Act unconstitutional.
9. 1937 San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge opens.
10. 1941 The German battleship Bismarck is sunk by British naval and air forces.
11. 1942 German General Erwin Rommel begins a major offensive in Libya with his Afrika Korps.
12. 1944 American General Douglas MacArthur lands on Biak Island in New Guinea.
13. 1960 A military coup overthrows the democratic government of Turkey.
14. 1969 Construction begins on Walt Disney World in Florida.
15. 1972 President Richard M. Nixon and Soviet Communist Party chief Leonid Brezhnev sign an arms reduction agreement.
16. 1999 The international war crimes tribunal indicts Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic for war atrocities.
Born on May 27 In history
1. 1794 Cornelius Vanderbilt, American industrialist and philanthropist.
2. 1819 Julia Ward Howe, writer of the “Battle Hymn of the Republic.”
3. 1837 Wild Bill [James Butler] Hickok, American frontiersman and lawman.
4. 1878 Isadora Duncan, dancer and choreographer.
5. 1894 (Samuel) Dashiell Hammett, detective writer (The Maltese Falcon).
6. 1907 Rachel Carson, biologist and writer (Silent Spring, The Sea Around Us).
7. 1911 Hubert Humphrey, U.S. politician.
8. 1911 Vincent Price, actor and horror film icon.
9. 1912 John Cheever, writer (The Wapshot Chronicles).
10. 1915 Herman Wouk, author (The Winds of War, The Caine Mutiny).
11. 1923 Henry Kissinger, Secretary of State under President Richard Nixon.
12.1925 Tony Hillerman, mystery novelist (The Blessing Way, Sacred Clowns).